Tuesday, January 27, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things

After living in the same house for fifteen years, we've joined the rest of you in the battle against clutter. It's almost demonic the amount of junk that collects in a house with nine people. Now that we are shrinking to a normal size family, I'm beginning to assess what things can go. To be truthful, there are very few items that cannot easily be replaced.

Among them are:

My mom's piano with the needle point bench cover Nana made


The infamous Christmas stockings


My grandmother's antique fish casseroles from Chicken of the Sea, which I once saw going for $50 a piece on Ebay.


This special gift from my mom


A picnic blanket (not shown) and this Guatemalan doll made locally in the town where we used to live (The base is a Coke bottle and the dress is hand painted cloth dipped and dried like paper mache._


A wall hanging from Teotitlan del Valle, a neighboring village, given to us by dear friends from Ohio


There are others, but I leave you with these for now. It is way past time for the kids' lessons. I'll post a few more another time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I love those fish casseroles - how wonderful. Now you have me thinking about the things in my house that aren't replaceable. Not much, just a few things that mostly have sentimental value.

Jamie Jo said...

Living overseas, I mentally assess what would come with me in case of an emergency evacuation. (Must be a remnant of my field training.) Even living in the US, it's good to know the true value of your belongings. Most of it is just stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...