After the last couple of trips we've taken, I found myself remembering this Scarlett O'Hara quote from Gone with the Wind. Flying these days as a poor person means going hungry! No food is served on planes, and what they serve at the airports is ridiculously high priced for my budget.
On Sunday our family is taking a long road trip to and through Guatemala and back. I'm making a list of healthy and easy snacks to prepare and take with us. Brings back lots of memories of happy (and sometimes hectic) trips in the past when we used to drive all the way to Ohio and back from Guatemala.
Here is a partial list of what I am packing:
Hard-boiled eggs, sea salt and pepper
Home made granola, yogurt
Egg and tuna salad, loaves of bread
Sliced ham, cheese, tortillas
Apples, peanut butter
Tangerines
Cinnamon rolls and/ or muffins
Almonds and raisins
Celery and carrot sticks
I'm sure we'll take the rest of the tea cakes (Christmas cut-out cookies) if any survive until then, and maybe some peppermint candies and a bit of junk like that.
What else would you suggest for travel snacks? We'll be gone about a week, but we'll have places where we can replenish our stock of car groceries along the way. We'd like to eat out as seldom as possible.
1 comment:
These are good ideas! I really don`t like the lack of food on the plane and yes the airports are too expensive.
Hummas http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hummus-iii/
This is kind of like the one we make and you can use canned or dried beans that you have cooked. We also do not use tahini because we don`t have any and I also add a little sprinkle of paprika on top. Eat with raw veggies or crackers.
Burritos - Beef or bean and rice if you have a place to heat them.
Have a great trip!! Praying for your safety.
Post a Comment