Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Memorable Date (speaking of movies)

A few years ago, Jim and I went to the big city one afternoon (probably to go to Sam's Club), and spontaneously decided to go to a movie.  It was the hottest season of the year (April or May), and the theater is one of the few air-conditioned places I know of in Oaxaca City.

Going to the ticket counter, we automatically checked to see which movies were subtitled.  Normally the only options are movies dubbed in Spanish, or ones in English with Spanish subtitles.  We noticed one subtitled movie we'd never heard of that was just starting, so we quickly purchased tickets and raced into the theater.

It was subtitled in Spanish all right, but they weren't speaking English.  That was one of the most expensive naps Jim ever took.  I kept nudging him to close his mouth so he wouldn't start snoring, while I enjoyed the cool air and then worked up a sweat trying to watch the movie while reading the Spanish.  How people find that enjoyable - reading a movie- I don't know.  It seemed like too much work to be called a leisure activity.

Ironically it was a very gripping movie, even in Hindi, or whatever language they were speaking.  I'd like to see it again someday in English.  It's all about the plight of the child brides in India who become widows, and thus outcasts in society.

You can read more about it and see a trailer for it here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...