A tin folk art picture hand made by a sister-in-Christ at the Oaxaca prison
These can be easily replaced, but among my prized possessions are several bookcases of reference books and classic novels.
A couple of souvenirs from my trip to Panama with the girls last summer
This framed piece from an unfinished quilt found in my grandmother's house when she died
All of these things could be hauled out of Mexico in a cargo trailer if God would redirect our steps. Other valuable things are my stack of photo albums, boxes of sorted photos, and one trunk full of old letters, journals, and memories. Just about any gift my mom has given me would have to go with us as well.
If anyone wants several great ideas to bless your grown children, here are some gifts I cherish: teacups that were Mom's when she was young, a scrapbook with family tree and photos of ancestors and my childhood, a DVD of the old family movies converted from reel-to-reel tapes, a cookbook of family recipes, favorite books for each of the children with special inscriptions, a framed quilt piece made by a great-grandmother, a set of World Book Encyclopedias with yearly updates, and of course the piano with a library of music and the love of music to go with it.
Mom assures me she is out of creative ideas, but we don't believe her. As long as there are good books out there, she can never run out of appropriate gifts for this family of bibliovores. Most people save all the kind words until after people are gone, but I want to go on record while my role model is still alive. When I grow up, I want to be like my mom! The greatest tribute is the fact that my husband would not be opposed if I did become more like her. How many sons-in-law can say that?
No comments:
Post a Comment