The second time I took such drastic measures was when applying to Wycliffe Bible Translators. After God so miraculously provided room and board close to the school in Duncanville, I was confident that this was his will. However the selection committee was not equally convinced. They did not read beyond my marital status before declaring I "need not apply."
The ominous phone call in this case came unexpectedly during the final few weeks of my first semester of graduate school. I confided in one of the teaching assistants that my application was not being processed, and wondered aloud if it was worth the effort to finish my final project in analyzing the grammatical structure of Urdu.
Not knowing anything about my divorce (that technically should have been an annulment), this T.A. went to the dean of the linguistics department who must have quickly made a few inquiries, because that very afternoon I received a second phone call from headquarters in Huntington Beach, California, saying they would check my references and reconsider my application. Halleluja!
God had to pull some strings in high places and give me words to say during the series of interrogations, er, interviews, so that when I was eventually accepted as a member-in-training, I had no illusions of having merited the position. Again, only by the grace of God was I selected. Again fasting without ever missing the first meal.
I am thankful for the unique way the Lord snuck me in to missions, twice preventing me from ever wrongly taking credit for what only He could have accomplished on my behalf. God forbid that I should ever boast of anything I've been able to do. It's only because of Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment