Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Favorite Author / Quotes

People may wonder how I find so much time for blogging. The truth is that I am trying to instill in my children a love for writing. They grew up as I did with a mother who clearly loves to read. I read aloud to them, and used a literature-based curriculum, affording them hours every day for reading truly great books. Consequently all seven children love to read. It's a learned value.

Likewise I am hoping my love for writing will rub off on my children. They are required to write for thirty minutes every day. I try to do at least that much, too, not asking them to do more than I am willing to do myself. Like any other skill, the more we practice, the easier it gets. Someday I want to spend my leisure time reading my children's blogs.

Another discipline of mine as a writer-wanna-be is to read good stories. One of my all-time favorite authors is Bess Streeter Aldrich who wrote so descriptively of growing up in the pioneer days in Nebraska. My very favorite book is A Lantern in Her Hand, which gives me hope that my years invested in my children will be well worth the effort.


Here are a few notable quotes:

"Junior is eleven. The statement is significant. There are a few peevish people in the world who believe all eleven-year-old boys ought to be hung. Others, less irritable, think that gently chloroforming them would seem more humane. A great many good-natured folks contend that incarceration for a couple of years would prove the best way to dispose of them." Mother Mason - 1924

"Christmas Eve was a night of song that wrapped itself about you like a shawl. But it warmed you more than your body. It warmed your heart ... filled it too, with melody that would last forever."
Song of Years - 1938

"Humor, her faithful companion for fifty-two years, had returned from his mysterious vacation, and with the rest of the family had met Mother at the station." Mother Mason - 1924

"Her fight with Time had been persistent, as shown by the array of weapons on her dressing table. But Time was beginning to fight with his back to the wall... They were hopelessly, irrevocably middle-aged.... You can never, never recapture youth."
Mother Mason - 1924


5 comments:

MikeandCharlsie said...

I too love to read and really got a kick out of that first quote of yours! As much as I love to read though I am not a big fan of books with too much description. I find them too slow...Good thing it takes all types! By the way have you done Sonlight with all your kids all the way through? I ask because several people have said it is a bit difficult to do it with as many children as I want to have...an advice?

Jamie Jo said...

Yeah, the old writers were very verbose. My style.

Yes I've done Sonlight pretty much all the way through. C and T went to community college for one year in high school, and M went to OCS. Aside from that, yep.

Don't think of doing it without getting on the Sonlight forums. They are a wealth of information and support. Ladies there can help you figure out how to combine cores to make it work. We love it! Worked with seven kids, that's all I know.

Luke Holzmann said...

Writing every day? Works for me! [smile] It's a great practice and habit to get into.

~Luke

The Hayes Zoo said...

OH MY HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!! That quote about 11 year old boys is priceless!! And the fighting time one...

I'm off to shop for a new book thank you very much!!

MikeandCharlsie said...

Just now got back to check on your response! I am glad to hear that Sonlight has continued to work for you all. We have done the pre-k and are working on the k. I absolutely love it and am relieved to hear that another large family has used it successfully. Oh and I have met several people here in Kerrville who use or used Sonlight and they know you from the boards!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...