This is an interesting Mexican tradition that I wish we could
Jim is still in Ohio after attending the MV conference in Orlando last week, so he will miss the wedding. I guess we are even now, since he had to attend the wedding of one of our neighbors/former coworkers while I was in Dallas with my mom. Back then some mutual friends got the honor of being the padrinos of the rings, and we sighed a breath of relief that we did not have that added expense. Serves us right that we were honored this time around.
In past weddings here, all I have done is help buy the plates and forks for the reception, or help decorate the auditorium for the ceremony. This being a "ring bearer" is new to me. I never noticed what was required beyond actually buying the rings. I wish Jim were here to share the honor.
The bride is the daughter of a Chinantec pastor named Juan, whom we have worked with for many years. We've had several teams go to their village to help build the church, and to distribute audio scriptures and do ministry in the surrounding villages. They are precious people, and we are very glad to be in a position to help them out in this way.
For related stories, hop over to my ministry blog and read Little Wedding Livers and Tejate - a typical Oaxacan drink about what was served the day of the wedding. ( I'm having trouble figuring out which blog to use for posting different stories, in case you can't tell.)
Photo Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos

3 comments:
I remember many years ago when I was single and living in Colombia that my friend Clarita asked me to be padrina for her wedding. As I cautiously asked what exactly did that mean, she answered cheerfully, "It means you get to buy the cake!" Which I did, very happily. Thanks for bringing that memory back to my mind! (from Denise AKA CambodiaMom)
I don't know why that says Manwathiel in my comment. I guess something is mixed up with my daughter's google. I'll see if I can get it fixed.
I like Quaker weddings when you ask people to do this. There is something similar sort of appearing off main stream have a look at : apracticalwedding.com
Post a Comment