Monday, December 7, 2009

Of headaches and hardships

Today I will drag myself into the city for some tests to hopefully determine the cause of some weird symptoms I've been having the past week, or at least rule out anything too extreme. I've had a killer headache with vertigo, nausea, and numbing on one side of my face and head. Weird, huh?

In the past few weeks we've been listening to Francis Chan sermons that have challenged me (again) to consider my life in light of eternity. Instead of setting goals of what I want to accomplish in the coming year, I am setting goals of who I want to be in the days ahead. With that in mind, I've been pondering a question Francis posed last month.

He suggested that we consider this scenario. What if we were given two options for 2010? One would be an easy, comfortable life, with everything going our way. The second choice would be hardships and trials that would cause us to experience God, become steadfast, and develop godly characteristics.

After thinking about it, I think I had to go with door number two. Then this weird thing started happening in my body. Right away I welcomed it, thinking, "Oh, this is as it should be!" Nothing is "wrong" - but just to be expected. I will welcome this trial, consider it all joy, and look forward to what God will bring to my life as a result.

I'd much prefer a meaningful life with Jesus at my side than a pointless, worthless, ineffective life with all the creature comforts and no need to rely on the Lord.

One side effect of any trials is the price loved ones have to pay. They did not necessarily choose door number two, and in fact, some would have greatly preferred the easier option of door number one. I used to regret that my family often has to suffer for the choices I make. Now I see that these lessons are just as important for them as they are for my own life. Already I've seen positive results as Bekah, Jonny, and Debbie have had to pitch in and take more responsibility around the house (since Jim is in Ohio caring for his mother). They are becoming more servant-like in their attitudes. For that I am grateful. God will work this for good in their lives, too.

If the way to Christ-likeness is through suffering, then I welcome it. If there's any other way, I'm certainly open to that, too.

My prayer is that God's will and purposes will be accomplished in my life either way.
Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos

2 comments:

Kris Thede said...

Lifting you up. Character building can be tough.

Richelle Wright said...

praying here - hope you get some answers as God works His will in you. thanks for encouraging me with your perspective.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...