Friday, June 5, 2009

I always said children were blessings!

The happy couple, Chris and Amy, May 2009

One of the blessings of having young adult "children" (or childish young adults, whichever the case may be) is watching my prayer answered that they will grow up to be people not-only-Mom loves.

Not that I take any credit for the way my kids have turned out - they would each quickly dispel that notion - but I am nonetheless very proud of them for who they have become. Notice I didn't say "for what they have accomplished." Just as God loves us, period, and nothing we achieve or accomplish can increase his love for us, a mother's love is not based on what our children do, but just for who they are.

Here is a blog
written by Hannah's host mom in the Philippines with photos of Hannah and a list of 18 things the Moffitt family appreciates about her. I thought you might enjoy seeing it. If you haven't looked at Hannah's blog lately, you should see all the photos she has added. She also tells how she spent her 18th birthday. It's a fun read if you are interested and have the time.

Mike, likewise, is a cool kid that many could write nice things about. Over Christmas break I enjoyed hearing comments from young people who had always looked at him as their goofy kid brother, telling me what wisdom and great counsel they gleaned from him over the holidays. He will make a great youth pastor someday.

Then there's Tim, who just got his EMT (paramedic) certificate, and was given an award for the one most likely to succeed in his field of study. I still hear remarks from people who love and admire Tim, even from Heidi, who knows him for good and bad, and loves him anyway. Another kid not just a mother can love!

And lastly...
here is another website
you might enjoy about our oldest son Chris's recent engagement. You can see photos of his bride-to-be, Amy, and read the details of how they met and how they got together. For those who have been praying for Chris, this is a sweet answer to prayer for him.

All four of our grown children are unique and beloved. I can't wait until Christmas when we can all be together again. It's been over a year since I've seen Tim and Heidi, and I really miss them! In July I get to see Chris and meet Amy for the first time. Later in the month Hannah gets back from the Philippines, Mike comes to visit, and we go on vacation the first week of August.

If it weren't for the long separations (time and distance), I would really enjoy this stage of parenting. Having young adult children is the best. Watching the friendships each of them has developed with the others gives me hope for the younger three (age 10, 12, and 14 next week!) who are all at that in-between/ love-hate stage of life, just on the verge of realizing what a blessing their siblings are. I look forward to seeing who they grow up to become. Watching the older four gives me hope.

May you be encouraged at whatever stage of parenting you find yourself in today. Again I will pose as the old lady who says the predictable: ENJOY them while they are young. They grow up SO FAST! No one ever believes it when the children are helpless and little, but it is true!

1 comment:

MikeandCharlsie said...

Once again this is a great post! I think you can take plenty of credit for how your kids turned out, I have seen you in action and heard enough stories to know about your great parenting skills!!! I'm trying to take your last paragraph and put it into practice... I work on enjoying them inbetween wanting to scream, laughing till I cry, and getting tired of the weird looks people give us :) You can probably relate to this...In Mexico you get stared at because you are white here we get stared at because we have 4 kids! haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...