Saturday, July 2, 2011

My moment of glory

Bojnice Castle (how I picture the storybook castle)
As I am quick to explain to people, I am the mother of seven extraordinary yet extra-average children.  They all excel in some area, but not necessarily in the areas that are most revered and noticed.  "Precocious" was not a word commonly thrown around in reference to Loker children (except perhaps regarding Bekah, who according to her, has always known just about everything and is just about as perfect as a Loker can get).

But I digress.  I wanted to tell you the story of my one moment of triumph.  The time my buttons all but burst as I swelled with pride (that had nothing to do with me or my outstanding teaching abilities).

The scene was one of our long drives through Mexico and the U.S. on one of our infamous mini-furloughs.  We passed the time in the van listening to story tapes provided to us by WCRF, the Moody radio station in Cleveland.  Our favorites were Ranger Bill, Adventures in Odyssey, Uncle Bob's Nature Corner, and of course Dan and Louie.  Through the years, our children had met just about every odd creature Uncle Bob ever interviewed, and we had traveled through every room of Dan & Louie's Bible Storybook Castle.

One night we were visiting some supporters along our route, and the husband graciously included our family in his bedtime Bible lesson.  Perhaps he assumed his own children would shine with their excellent Bible training when he asked them to review the earlier lesson with our young children.  He asked them, "Who can tell me who was with Jesus at the Mount of Transfiguration?"  Christopher, who was no more than six or seven at the time, blurted out "Moses and Elijah!" before our host family's children could even think.

That was it.  My moment of glory.  My first inkling of what it might feel like to have cleverly precocious children.  Maybe God knew I couldn't handle the pride that would come with a whole string of brilliant children, so he blinded me to their amazing strengths and talents until they were too old for me to assume any credit.

Truthfully, Chris's recall of Bible facts can only be credited to Dan and Louie. You can listen to a few of their stories free on their webpage.  Here's the only video clip I could find on you-tube:



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...