Monday, November 8, 2021

Enriching my Bilingual Vocabulary: Ridiculizar and Cock a Snook

As I have shamelessly boasted on Facebook, I've been trying to listen through the entire Bible this year - for the first time ever.  After promoting AUDIO SCRIPTURES for over thirty years, I decided it was time to practice what I preach.

Once I listened through the entire Old Testament, I decided to switch to Spanish and to read the New Testament aloud for myself.  This has slowed down my progress immensely. It's bad enough that I must read slowly to get the pronunciations accurate, but I also must stop every so (embarrassingly) often to look up a word in the parallel English version (New Living Translation).   Then I have to pause again every time I am convicted of yet another area where my life, thoughts, and actions do not line up with what scripture clearly teaches.  

And if all that doesn't slow me down enough, I get sidetracked by my brain that is forever conjuring up all sorts of funny images.

Already I have posted about my mistakenly reading "Amen to your enemies!" instead of "Love your enemies."  I also posted about picturing radishes (rabanos) when the passage mentioned a "pequeño rebaño"(a small flock), and how I could picture the religious leaders strutting around like real turkeys (the word for peacock "pavo real" literally means "real turkey") when I learned a new Spanish verb "pavonearse."

Reading the scriptures slowly and aloud in a completely new version - a new language! - has enlightened my views of otherwise familiar passages.  I highly recommend this fun exercise.

Last week I got hung up on a word that clearly communicates what it means in English.  "Ridiculizar" obviously means "to ridicule," but I like the sound of the Spanish word so much better than the English that I've invented a new word:  RIDICULIZE.  Say it with a southern accent for the best effect.  Ridiculous - Ridiculize.  If you are a Harry Potter fan, you can try it with a British accent and almost imagine Hermione waving a wand while saying the word.

While I was at it, (and people wonder why I must wake up at such a ridiculized hour of the morning for my Bible reading and devotions!), I discovered a phrase in English with an equivalent meaning and a humorous ring to it.  What I found was an old expression "Cock a Snook."  I have no idea of the origin, but basically it is the British version of the American "Five Finger Salute."  Think of it as thumbing your nose and wagging your fingers.  Isn't that hilarious?

...UNTIL. Until you imagine the religious leaders, Herod, and the soldiers trying to "ridiculize" Jesus like we read in Luke 23:11.  Hold on a minute.  FULL STOP.  That's where my silly brain came to a halt in my morning musing.  There is nothing funny whatsoever to imagine my Jesus being mocked in such a truly disrespectful fashion.  My Jesus, the humble, patient, meek, loving, compassionate, kind, righteous, peace-loving, powerful, royal, merciful, forgiving, extravagantly generous SAVIOR OF THE WORLD, perfect in every way, worthy of all praise and adoration.... would never merit the mocking, torture, and shame He bore for my sins.

Just no!

Forgive me, Lord, for even one slight joke that would make light of the sacrifice you made on my behalf.  I am glad we can laugh (and sometimes cry) together during these morning hours, but I never want to be like those turkeys who mocked Jesus.  May it never be.


Photo by Michael Ely and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...