Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Common Core, Common Sin, and True Confessions

 Yesterday, November 16th, my sisters and I were lamenting the sorely lacking urgency and perhaps diligence in our postal service after we discovered one sister's very important business letter (properly addressed and stamped by the would-be recipient) mailed from east Texas had never arrived in Dallas over a week later.  Without getting political, I simply commented that I find it "Disingenuous"  (actually I said "unbelievable" - but wanted to try out that new favorite word the White House press secretary keeps using) that anyone could trust that a bazillion mail-in ballots during a pandemic would result in anything but chaos!

Then, to heap further injury to my already wounded conscience, since I am in week two of a feeble attempt to check my words and attitudes to only display kindness and to check snarkiness in every form, I added, "Yeah, and just imagine how it will be once America has an entire force of postal workers who were educated with Common Core Math!"


Well, the laugh was on me.  Right after our little chat, I started to calculate how old my nephew, Richie, would be if we hadn't sadly lost him to brain cancer right before his sixteenth birthday.  Let me see... Richie made me an aunt on November 16, 1978, so he would be ... um...52?  No, that can't be right!  I know I was a freshman at Baylor when I got the happy news of his birth  (and I certainly was no child prodigy, at least not in basic math)... No, Richie would be 42.  It's hard to imagine.

Forgive me for judging you,  postal workers.  Forgive me, teachers.  Forgive me, Pastor Craig for flunking the kindness challenge. We are all human, after all.  Even precious Richie would have likely had a few glaring faults had he lived this long.  Thank You, Jesus, for providing forgiveness for us all!

I do miss Richie.  And I do miss my mental math skills.  I started to say "I miss my brain," but I'm trying to be kind to myself this month, too.  Sometimes that's the hardest thing of all.

Let me know if you want a link to the Kindness Challenge.  We can all do with a little more kindness before 2020 comes to an end.

P.S. Richie,  I hope BJ made you your favorite banana bread for your birthday yesterday.  You had to wait a super long time for it, but I'm not going to even attempt to calculate how long!












No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...